Aloo Gosht (meaning Potato Meat) is a meat curry common in Pakistani and North Indian cuisine. It consists of potatoes (aloo) cooked with meat (gosht), usually lamb beef or mutton, in a stew-like gravy, called “shorba” in Urdu language .
You can serve the dish with plain rice or with bread or the Asian ‘roti,’ ‘paratha’ or ‘naan.’ It is a rich dish, which is very popular. Many versions of Aloo Gosht are available across Pakistan because the dish evolved through passage of time. Each province it passed across over the several years, has given it a new variation in recipe. Nonetheless, it remains a widely consumed dish.
Ingredients of Aloo Gosht
- Meat 1/2 kg
- Onions 2 finely sliced
- Tomatoes 3
- Green chilies 3
- Oil 1/2 cup
- Red chili powder 2 teaspoons
- Salt 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder 1/2 teaspoon
- Ginger / garlic paste 1 tablespoon
- Whole spices (Cardamom or ‘ilaichi’ 4, Cinnamon or ‘darchini’ 1 piece, whole black pepper 6, cloves 6 )
- 1 to two potatoes cut in wedges or big cubes
- Other vegetables of your choice like turnip, bottle gourd, tinday (Indian round gourd, Apple gourd, or Indian baby pumpkin), etc.
Method of Making It
- In the pressure cooker add, onions and sauté until soft.
- Then, add red chili powder, salt, ginger / garlic paste, coriander powder and sauté well.
- Now add tomatoes and sauté till oil separates 6 to 7 mins
- Add in meat and cook for 2 mins until the meat changes color
- Then, add enough water (1/2 glass)
- Cook for 10 mins after the cooker whistles
- Allow the cooker to cool down a bit now sauté the curry until it becomes dry and the oil separates. Keep stirring, (to avoid breaking the meat cubes, scoop them out and sauté the masala)
- Add whole spices and meat, green chilies and wedges of potatoes or veg of your choice cook for 2 mins on high flame add water 1/2 cup
- Cool until the potatoes and meat cook well, and the gravy is according to the consistency you want.
This recipe is very easy to make, so the next time you want to explore Pakistani cuisines at home, feel free to make Aloo Gosht. Thank you for making time to read this blog. We hope that you found it helpful. Please feel free to share your thoughts about it down below because we will sincerely appreciate your comments.
Click here to read our previous post “Chicken Qorma Recipe” in case you missed it. To read more about amazing lifestyle tips, keep visiting us on www.lifestyleglitz.com. We are all you need for a great and happy lifestyle!
Recipe by Guest Blogger: Juveria Jabeen Zubair.