A cable gland, cable connector, or fitting is a mechanism crafted to connect and secure the end of an electrical cable to equipment. Cable glands provide a suitable connection for the type of cable it is designed. They can also be used to seal the cables that pass-through bulwarks or plates. These gadgets are great to use in a number of industries on all types of cables to maintain the characteristics of the ring, which the cable enters. Sometimes, they serve well to stop the entry of combustible gas into enclosures in hazardous areas.
Various materials make the cable glands. Their manufacture may be from metallic or non-metallic substances, which might be resistant to corrosion. These glands should have approval for use in a particular type of cable so that they can ensure necessary protection needed. The materials used are:
Those used to resist dripping water or water pressure will comprise of the following:
- Synthetic rubber
- Elastomeric Seals
A minimum of three kinds of thread is in cable glands. These are:
- Metric thread
- National Pipe Thread (inch system)
A Cable Gland has various functions:
- Act as a fastening and concluding device to protect electrical equipment and enclosures.
- Seal the outer cable covering, to rule out dust and moisture from any electrical or instrument enclosure.
- Provide adequate levels of mechanical cable resistance.
- Provide additional sealing on that part of the cable, which enters the enclosure.
- Will provide additional sealing at the cable entry point
What You Should Check to Get the Correct Cable Gland
Cable glands are definitely a useful mechanism; however, you also need to choose sensibly to get the most out of them. For that, you need to:
- Discern the kind of cable to be used
- Check the size and material that is used in the construction of the cable
- Check the comprehensive size of the cable diameter
If the Cable Gland Is Armored, Then You Must Also Scrutinize:
- The type and material of the cable armor
- Short circuit fault rating of the cable armor
- The diameter of the inner bedding and the lead covering
- The size and type of armor
Cable glands are used on all types of electrical power, control, instrumentation, data, and telecommunications cables as a sealing and termination device.
Compliance Rules for Cable Glands
The compliance with standards is extremely important for the safety sake; not only in the workplace but also for the security of grounding systems, durability in performance and progression of supply. You must consider the same rules as applied to the abundance of other electrical equipment as were feasible for cable glands, to operate reliably.
As the power generation industry gradually developed, the need for a common standard was recognized. The new standard introduced, differs from what existed earlier and will possibly have a deep impact on users and manufacturers. It will surprise the ones who realize that the products they have used earlier were untested.
The new standards are performance-based and thus manufacturers are able to produce cable glands of different kinds suited to light as well as medium and heavy-duty industrial applications. Having read this article in detail you would have developed a fair idea about what they are and what the uses are. Therefore, when you plan to get these for a particular project, make sure that you look at the above-mentioned aspects.