Lavender is one of the many herbal plants that offer us numerous health benefits. Most people know it because of the soothing scent it has, which is why it is also an important ingredient in soaps, perfumes, detergents, etc. Its scent soothes the mind and calms one’s spirit, which is why it has been an important natural remedy for some health conditions since the beginning of time. There is still a lot more that people don’t know about Lavender essential oils and its benefits, so keep reading.
Forms of Lavender
Commercially, the prepared forms of lavender available are mostly Lavender Essential Oils, derived from dried flowers obtained from the lavender plant. People use the essential oils to make the following forms of lavender to make it usable in different manners:
- Bath gels
- Aromatherapy oil
- Whole, dried flowers
Species of Lavender
Lavender is generally available in two equally beneficial species, namely Spike Lavender and French Lavender.
Spike Lavender – This type of lavender has broad leaves with higher concentrations of Camphor and Cineol, which are natural ingredients that make it more pleasing. This species produces an essential oil than the French Lavender.
French Lavender – This species has narrow leaves and small dark flowers that are more aromatic and product a distinct fragrance.
Now, let’s look at the benefits you can reap from using Lavender.
20 Benefits of Lavender Essential Oils
- Treats acne – These essential oils have natural antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties that help it fight bacteria that causes skin infections and acne. You can simply dab some lavender essential oil soaked on a cotton swab and see desirable results within a short time. Most aromatherapists use Lavender to treat acne.
- Treats Eczema – This amazing natural remedy has itch relieving properties too, which make it a great remedy for eczema. It decongests the irritated skin by adding moisture to it, which accelerates the healing process.
- Detoxifies the Skin – We unknowingly expose our skin to many toxins and pollutants each day. Lavender can detoxify the skin and it helps to get rid of pollutants that have harmful effects. Some research actually proves that lavender essential oil inhibits the growth of skin bacteria.
- Heals Burns – The anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of Lavender help heal minor burns on the skin. The oil also prevents scars from forming and at the same time relieves the pain. You just have to add a few drops of the oil on the brunt skin and keep it under running water for ten minutes. This accelerates the healing process. However, for many serious burns always consult with your doctor for proper treatment.
- Helps heal insect bites – Lavender Essential Oils can be handy in treating insect bites. A few drops on the bite or sting can decrease the itching and helps reduce the swelling. In fact, lavender is a great insect repellent too.
- Treats Tired Muscles – A good massage after a long day at work can feel great. Lavender oil massage to tone your muscles is something you must not ignore. It can make you feel a lot better. Add 4 to 6 drops of the lavender essential oil in a large bowl of warm water. Then soak your feet and hands in it for ten minutes. It softens the spots and patches on your feet and hands. You will feel much relaxed and refreshed.
- Cures Earache – Warm the essential oil and use it to massage around your ears and throat areas gently. You can mix the Lavender essential oil with olive oil if you want to use it on children.
- Fatigue – Use five drops of lavender oil in warm water and soak your feet. It soothes the feet and makes you relax. The lavender oil reaches your bloodstream and removes stress by stimulating other systems in your body.
- Fevers – Add some drops of the oil in tepid water and gently sponge children to alleviate fever. Avoid the chills getting chills. This remedy also works for adults.
- Cures Headache – Distilled Lavender mist has a refreshing and soothing effect on headache. When you soak it in ice-cold water and sprinkle it on the forehead, or massage it on the forehead, and temples it helps relief a headache.
- Faintness and Palpitations – You can use this essential oil in making your own smelling salt to help cure faintness or palpitations. Mix the lavender oil with peppermint oil, sea salt, and basil oil and use it.
- Cuts and Wounds – Lavender oil helps wounds and cuts heal without making scars. Simply apply the drops on the skin.
- Insomnia – Studies show that elderly patients suffering from insomnia sleep better with a few drops of lavender on their pillow, or when put in a diffuser and placed near them. 3-4 drops of the oil induce For babies, add it with geranium oil and massage the baby at bedtime.
- Long-haul Travel – When you combine lavender oil with rosemary, frankincense, neroli, and clary sage, and apply it on the luggage or roll it on the purse you carry, the smell helps you keep your head clear.
- Menstrual Cramps – Massaging the lower belly with this amazing natural remedy helps relief menstrual pain.
- Treats Scabies – When mites bite and cause scabies, the anti-itch properties of Lavender oil helps.
- Shingles – Mixing lavender oil with an antiviral and analgesic helps compress agonizing lesions caused by shingles. Treatment usually takes 5-8 days to show results.
- Sinusitis – Lavender is an aromatherapy ingredient, which when mixed with thyme oil and dropped in hot water for steam inhalation helps treat sinusitis.
- Cures Stress and Anxiety – Sprinkling lavender mist on your face during the day and applying the oil to your temples can help alleviate anxiety and stress.
- Sunburn – Four drops of lavender mist mixed with peppermint oil and a teaspoon of jojoba oil cures sunburns.
Overall, lavender has been around for several centuries and healers have been using it to treat all kinds of health problems. Today, most people use lavender essential oils for home remedies and even use it to calm themselves down and relax before sleeping and after a hectic day of work.
Click here to read our previous post “Are So-Called Bad Habits Actually Bad?” in case you missed it. To read more about amazing lifestyle tips, keep visiting us on www.lifestyleglitz.com. We are all you need for a great and happy lifestyle!