Sleeping without any interruption at night is one of the most important aspects of any individual’s day, as well as for their wellbeing. However, in today’s hectic and stressful lifestyle, many people find it difficult to fall asleep at night. Aging is also one of the factors that come with sleeplessness. Worrying, exhaustion, or having emotional stress can also contribute to the inability of getting a good night’s rest. There are so many different ways through which you can find relief from insomnia, but the use of essential oils is one of the most common, natural, and simplest methods that you can use each day to help you sleep better at night.
How Essential Oils Aid Sleep
Using essential oils will not cure insomnia or tackle the root cause of it. However, it is a renowned fact that essential oils can help you to relax and calm down before bedtime. They also help you fall asleep easily and enjoy an uninterrupted sleep. You should know that essential oils are natural extracts from flowers, leaves, stems, roots, and barks of specific plants. They are highly concentrated and to reap their benefits, using them in high amounts is not necessary.
The Best Essential Oils to Aid Sleep
Each essential oil can have different effects on the mind and body. This is why learning about the different oils that help with sleeping disorders can you help you better. Here are some essential oils that are ideal for sleeping at night.
- Lavender Essential Oil: This is an excellent choice that helps relieves stress, and it is one that you can also use as a sedative or antidepressant. Predominantly, this oil is composed of alcohols and esters and it has different therapeutic properties.
- Chamomile Essential Oil: This is famous as a powerful agent that calms the body and mind. It can also help to alleviate depression and lift one’s mood. There are different forms of this oil available in the market today, but the Roman Chamomile is popular as the most effective one.
- Valerian Root Essential Oil: For over a hundred years now, people use Valerian root for its calming and sedative effects. The roots have valerenic acid, which is a GABA receptor modulator. It suppresses the breakdown of the enzyme GABA in the brain and causes sedation. Valerian is very effective whether one uses internally or topically. When using it as a supplement, it is advisable that you dilute one drop in 4 ounces of liquid for half an hour right before going to bed.
- Marjoram Essential Oil: Again, there are different forms of this essential oil available in the market. Sweet Marjoram is the only suitable oil that helps with sleep disorders mainly because it comes with sedative and calming effects that reduces hypertension as well as eases the nervous system.
- Vetiver Essential Oil: This is also an excellent oil, which relaxes and calms the body. Once you use it, you may stay asleep all through the night.
Essential oils are best for insomnia and many other health related problems. However, before purchasing the appropriate one, it is advisable that you consult with a qualified practitioner before using any specific essential oil. It is also good to first test them out just to ensure that you are not allergic to them. For best results, buy the ones with high quality.
Don’t forget to read our previous post “Four Postpartum Psychological Problems Mothers Need to Know About“.