If you are in the mood for an adventure but don’t have much time, it is possible to find a fun, affordable getaway at the last minute. Even if you want to travel to one of the most popular destinations, don’t assume it is all booked up. Plans change all the time for everyone, which means there could be an opening on that flight that fits your schedule. However, if you are the last minute traveler it is important to plan swiftly. This will ensure that you do not forget anything and so you can get the best deal possible.
Here are Some Tips for the Last Minute Traveler
- Consider booking two one-way trips rather than a round trip. When you have flexibility over your travel, you will be able to find better deals.
- Opt-in to newsletters and alerts to get notifications of the best deals when they become available. The easiest way to do that is to opt-in on online travel sites like redtag.ca. Sites like redtag.ca not only update their deals in real time but also oftentimes provide truly competitive discounts on everything from flights to hotels.
- All-in vacation packages or combo deals are actually more affordable than booking hotels and flights separately. It can also save your time when you are looking to get away fast.
- Consider off-season destinations. If you are simply looking to escape for a short time, consider going to a place that is not in high demand. This will also help you avoid large crowds and really enjoy your time away.
- Don’t forget to check in on any cancellations with local adventure tours. If you are willing to join a group when someone else has had to cancel, it can lead to new experiences and new friendships.
- When looking for a place to visit, don’t limit yourself just to flying. Consider cruises too.
Packing List for the Last Minute Traveler
Before you leave for your big trip, you’ll want to be sure that you pack everything you’ll need. Because you are traveling last minute, it can be easy to forget something essential, like your toothbrush.
Here are Some Tips for Keeping it Together While You Pack:
- Make a list. Sit down for a few minutes and think about everything you use in a day from your morning routine to your nighttime needs.
- Be brief. Build a wardrobe around 2-3 versatile items that can be swapped around every couple of days. Despite what you may tell yourself, you won’t be changing your clothes three times a day so travel light.
- Leave valuables behind. While this may sound shocking, too many items were lost or stolen while we travel. So, if it is important to you, leave it locked safely at home.
- Double-check your list. Even if you think you have packed it, get your list out and verify that all the items on it did make it into your suitcase.
- Organize and roll it. One of the most tried and true travel tips is to roll your clothes before tucking them into your This helps keep them free of wrinkles and is a space-saver.
The biggest secret for the last minute traveler is to be flexible and accept that it is an adventure. If you have high expectations about what you want to see and experience, then the unpredictability of traveling by flight may frustrate you. However, if you approach your trip with an open mind you increase your chances of having an experience you will never forget.